It is the beginning of 2018 and most people are thinking about losing weight and getting healthy. In most cases losing weight is a good thing, but sometimes losing weight doesn’t mean healthy. I have seen some things in the past that made me cringe when it comes to weight loss, like diet pills and consuming products that say Fat Free and Sugar Free on the label. This usually means they replaced the fat and sugar with toxic stuff.
In this blog post I will share some tips on how to lose weight or be fit in a healthy way, and not just for you guys, but for me too. I have a belly I need to get rid of. My belly is a result from not moving consistently enough and eating to many sweets, especially over the holidays. This year is my year to get fit. I don’t know if I want to lose weight, because my weight is actually considered to be healthy on the BMI chart. I just need to tone up and lose some belly. My goal is to be my healthiest and fittest I have ever been by my 40th birthday, which is in 10 months. I not talking about having a body builder body, but toned up some and not being afraid to wear a bikini if I want to.
I’m thinking 10 months should be doable, because I already eat pretty healthy, the sweets are my biggest downfall. So let’s do this!
Here is a list of things I have already been doing, I just started doing or I plan to do to loss some fat and get toned up:
1. Consume foods that are organic, non GMO and non-processed. When we are hungry, our bodies are looking for nutrients that it needs. A lot of the foods out there these days, don’t have these nutrients they have fillers that ours bodies don’t recognize. When we eat enough of these food that have these fillers, we tend to get and feel full….but not satisfied, because our bodies didn’t get the nutrients that they are looking for. So we keep eating to find that satisfaction and we don’t find it, so we keep eating. This is one of the areas that creates overeating. When we get the right nutrients we don’t need to eat as much, because our bodies received the right nutrients and this make us feel satisfied.
Also there are foods out there that are considered to be natural like cotton and wood that they are using as fillers in our foods.The problem with this is that our bodies don’t know how to digest these and can cause weight gain as well.
2. Consume less sugar. This is one of my struggles. I have the world’s biggest sweet tooth!! Especially around that time that only females have to deal with. There are two effective ways to help with this. The first one is usually if you are craving sweets you have a magnesium deficiency. So getting more magnesium is helpful. Even if you are talking a multi vitamin, you still may need more magnesium. When we are stressed, consuming certain processed foods, caffeine or alcohol, these can deplete our bodies of magnesium. Great ways to get magnesium are from foods like almonds, cashew, pumpkin seeds, leafy green vegetables (like, spinach or kale), grapefruit and egg yolk just to name a few. They also make sprays and there is a product called Calm that can help.
Another way is to find good alternatives, this way you are not feeling deprived. Eating a little bit of dark chocolate is good. I will sometimes make energy bites with cacao powder (I will have to do a blog post on this soon) and today for the first time I tried Four Sigmatic Hot Cacao Mix. It has mushrooms in it, so it is healthy, but taste delicious!
3. Watch your fats. There are good fats and bad fats. Trans Fats are the fats that you want to kick to the curb! These are the fats that can cause some issues. Saturated fats are great in moderation. The American Heart Association came out a few months ago saying that coconut oil is bad for us because it has saturated fats in it. If you were to eat an entire jar of coconut oil, that is where it can be bad. However if you consume a couple of tablespoons per day, this has great benefits! Foods like walnuts, sunflower seeds, olive oil and fish have the best fats.
4. There are some herbs that can help. Herbs like Dandelion, chickweed, cleavers, parsley, flaxseed and fennel can help with weight loss.
5. Drink more water! Water is very helpful with is comes to losing weight. If you are going to change one thing, this is it! We should be getting at least 64 oz. of water. Some say you should take your weight, divide it in half and that that is the amount of water you should be consuming each day in ounces. Water helps everything flow right in your body. It helps your organs eliminate what needs to be eliminated. The number one cause of constipation is not getting enough water…and if you are unable to eliminate your poop, there is some weight you are holding on to right there. Also if you are thirsty, your body can sometime confuse this for hunger. This means you tend to be eating when you should be hydrating. So drink more water! If you don’t like the taste of water, herbal teas are a great way to get water in your system. Anything with alcohol, caffeine and a lot sugar doesn’t count.
6. Keep your liver happy! All of our organs are important, but I am amazed at what our liver does for us and how much abuse it takes from us, until it starts giving us problems. Our liver helps us remove toxins from our bodies. If we are eating foods that are filled with toxins the liver helps remove them from our body. If we are cleaning our house with toxic cleaning products, it gets into our system through our skin from contact and lungs from inhaling it. The liver will have to remove these toxins. Our liver does a great job, but there is only so much it can do, too much toxins and it can get clogged. Ways to keep the liver happy is to eat healthy non processed foods, clean with green cleaning products, herbs like dandelion and milk thistle and reducing stress….which leads me to my next tip….
7. Managing stress. Stress can affect both the liver and glucose in our bodies, which can cause weight gain. Ways to manage stress are: if possible eliminate or reduce stress, meditation, eating healthy, exercising, herbs like chamomile and lemon balm and be grateful for all the wonderful things you have in your life!
8. Catch some ZZZZ’s. Sleep is so important! I hear too many people saying that they average 3 to 5 hours of sleep per night. Yikes! I don’t know how those people function. I get cranky if I don’t get at least 7 hours and the 7 hours is pushing it! If we are not getting enough sleep this affects our insulin and glucose, which causes weight gain. This is also the time for our bodies to heal and repair itself. If we are not getting enough sleep, how are we supposed to have enough energy to function and do things like working out? I’ll do a blog post on this soon about insomnia with more details. However, if you are in my Facebook group Balanced Dandelion Community, I did do a Facebook live on it, so you can check that out there. Anyways brief ways you can get more sleep is exercising, meditation, herbs like chamomile and lemon balm and if your devices have the blue light filter feature, turn it off at least an hour before going to sleep.
9. Move it! This is my biggest struggle. I can be lazy or find a million other things to do besides getting off my butt and move. I do move, but not as consistently as I should. So this one of my biggest goals this year. To move a lot more. I want to move for a least 30 minutes a day. Whether that is walking, running, yoga, heavy cleaning, dancing while cleaning (I will literally do this when no one is watching) and hiking. Those are my go to movements. I plan on running at least 3 times a week as well!
10. Don’t do diet pills. Diet pills are usually loaded with fillers and toxic crap! I have seen some that work…but they act like a band aid. People will lose weight, but then end up gaining all that weight back and sometimes even more.
11. What is your why? If you have a goal or goals, you have to have a why, or it just doesn’t work. Why would do something, especially something that takes a lot of work, if you don’t have a reason. What is your why? My why is I want to live a high quality life. I want to be active in my 80’s. In the far future when I have grandkids I want to be able to keep up with them. I want to look and feel amazing! I want to be able to move easily.
So who wants to lose weight, get more toned and fit and healthier with me?!
Happy New Year,